the water got high and she never got dry

Saturday, October 13, 2007

you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both

It’s a rainy Saturday morning, a rare occurrence here. It’s the kind of day where we have no choice but to go to an Indian buffet for lunch and then go museum hopping. We have a movie gift card from the Husband’s parents (We have yet to pay for a movie here, which is good, because it’s a ridiculous $8-10 for tix) but there is not a single thing out we want to see.

The past couple of weeks have been a bit of a rollercoaster. We hit a pretty bad low two Mondays ago. Our beloved little kitten got suddenly very sick and short of spending hundreds of dollars on invasive tests that would more likely than not reveal he had something untreatable, we had no choice but to put him to sleep. That was incredibly heartbreaking. He was so sweet and loving and adorable and pretty much perfect and it made me so happy to finally have a two cat household. Losing him after only one short month of happiness felt incredibly cruel. It’s still hard to talk about.

The pain of losing him, on top of our frustration and anxiety about our lack of jobs, seemed to be the last straw. What the hell were we doing here? I decided to give notice at my crappy temp job and that’s when things got better. Last Friday was my last day and yesterday I started at a new job. How awesome is that? I had a phone interview Wednesday, a face to face interview Thursday, and then Friday was my first day. Just like that.

Fed up with my job, at the end of September I had sent out my resume to a few places, finally overcoming my irrational aversion to sending out resumes in the absence of advertised openings. Last Thursday I got an email asking if I was interested in a position that they were just now advertising and we set up a phone interview. It is pretty damn lucky that I sent them my resume because had I seen the job ad, I would never have applied since it asked for 4 years of previous experience.

And even better, not five minutes after I got done with the phone interview, the Husband’s phone rang and now he has an interview for Monday. I love serendipity.

As if finding out on Thursday that I got the job (they even asked me if I wanted to start as soon as the interview was over!) wasn’t good enough, I then finally went out and bought myself a guitar. It was a very good day.

0 Old Comments: