the water got high and she never got dry

Friday, April 07, 2006

and she's my friend of all friends

she's still here when everyone's gone
she doesn't have to say a thing
we'll just keep laughing all night long
all night long
-azure ray

In all my excitement about Hawaii, the one thing I haven’t talked about is the most important – getting to see my best friend get married after almost 16 years of long, late night talks about boys.

I’ve known S. since the sixth grade. She was a tiny little thing, fresh off the boat. That quirky girl grew into a beautiful, brainy, ballsy woman who takes shit from no one. One of the things I love most about her is her complete and utter lack of bullshit. What you see is what you get. And like any truly good friend, she's always straight with me and has the perfect knack for letting me know when I’m being an idiot about something.

We’ve come a long way together, helping each other survive the rollercoaster of adolescence and making it from a time when we couldn’t help obsessing over SAT scores and whether or not we’d have a date for Prom to dealing with the real world. Time and distance haven’t weakened that bond.

She and her fiancé have been together off and on for a very long time. It was a somewhat tumultuous relationship when they were younger and sometimes it was tricky for me to know how to be the most supportive. One week they’d be broken up and he’d be known only as Dipshit and the next week they’d be back together and I had to be careful not to continue calling him that.

But they both grew up and went their separate ways for a while and dated other people and then found their way back to each other and rebuilt a stable and happy relationship. I think it takes a special guy to fully appreciate S. and the full force of her personality and I'm glad she's found him.

When she called to tell me they’d bought her engagement ring, after we did our obligatory shrieking in excitement, she really caught me off guard by thanking me for sticking with her through everything and that she knew it couldn’t have always been easy to do when things were crazy with them. But I shouldn’t have been surprised, because that’s the kind of insightful woman she is.

I can’t wait to see her and share in her big day. I know that she’s going to be the most stunning bride ever.

0 Old Comments: