the water got high and she never got dry

Thursday, April 13, 2006

so happy together

Yesterday Felicity emailed me from Hawaii. Everything is going well, both Felicity and The Boy are getting lots of sun!

The weather here is really warming up and it really makes me miss Felicity. About this time last year, we would go get Italian sodas and sit downtown by the fountain and people watch. She'd tell me new things she discovered about The Boy and giggle.

Within a few months, we'd start ducking out of work early or leaving in the afternoon to enjoy an earlier Italian Soda or a appletini outside. She'd tell me about how happy she was with The Boy and how they still hadn't had their first argument.

One Friday in June, the group met for martinis at our favorite local Biergarten and then we headed out to the free open air concert. It was Felicity, The Boy and I. I scanned the crowd hoping to see someone whose eye I'd catch, trying not to look as they showed subtle displays of affection.

And then it hit me: that's him.

I remember standing there listening to the concert looking at how The Boy put his arm around her, thinking about how respectfully he had spoken to her earlier that evening, how comfortable they were with each other. That's him. The One. The One she is going to grow old with.

Just today in my lab I was talking about them. The context was "the grass is always greener on the other side." That people look as outsiders at a couple and think "they look so happy, aren't they cute?" And no one really has anything as perfect as it looks.

"Except Felicity and The Boy." I explained. "That's really like that. That's really how they are. I know, she tells me all sorts of things and their biggest problems are things like 'do we watch bsg or Lost tonight?' That's really how it is."

I remember when they started dating wondering how long this honeymoon phase could last. Surely someday there must be something. It can't always be rainbows and sunshine. But nothing ever declined. Felicity is as happy as she has always been, and The Boy still adores her.

I've never seen anything like it.

Romeo and Juliet
They never felt this way
I bet
~Madonna

0 Old Comments: