the water got high and she never got dry

Thursday, May 25, 2006

but every now and then you come to mind

Been sorting through more boxes and dusting off more junk, unidentifiable objects, and memories. Listening to Sheryl Crow while I do it has put me in a reflective mood and I’ve gone and done it - started thinking of all the things that brought me to this point in my life. I’m sure I’ll go through this again right before I get married, but c’mon, this process - disposing of past relics to get ready to move into a new home with the man I’ll be sharing a home with for the rest of my life - is fraught with symbolism. Fraught, I tell you.

*Cue Dave Chappelle* "Your vacuum cleaner ate my pants. There was nothing I could do." (Don't ask, it makes sense in my head.)

I’ve continued to be ruthless in disposing of things that no longer mean anything to me. Stuffed animals from the ex? Don’t need those. Gifts from people who I’m no longer friends with? Don’t need those either. Pictures that sting? Gone. They don’t have any place in my future home.

I deal with objects by carting them off in boxes. I deal with memories by writing about them. So coming up is Chapter 1 of Disposing of Emotional Junk. There’s been a little too much sweetness and light ‘round these parts lately anyway.

0 Old Comments: