the water got high and she never got dry

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

back off man, i'm a scientist

I was sitting in my office as rain started pouring and the tornado siren downtown started wailing but sirens go off here frequently enough that I mostly ignored it. I finally checked weather.com and saw a tornado warning, but none of the folks who work down the hall seemed to be leaving, so I continued to ignore the weather. Finally, I thought "Dammit, woman, you're a psychologist! Snap out of it! Have you learned nothing about pluralistic ignorance? This is how people die." Being on the fifth floor just didn't seem smart, so I headed downstairs and found a crowd of people sitting in the hall. The danger quickly passed, but I can't believe I almost fell into the trap of basing my reaction to a potential emergency on other people.

Maybe this degree will be good for something after all!

0 Old Comments: