the water got high and she never got dry

Thursday, April 26, 2007

time, time, time, see what's become of me

Not dead, just monumentally busy. We went out of town for the weekend and had a fun couple of days of shopping, relaxing, and watching Mamma Mia, courtesy of Husband to Be’s awesome parents. We hit the same big mall I was at the weekend before for a fun day of much needed girliness with a road trip and tons of shopping, book-ended by meals at the Cheesecake Factory.

I showed HtB this awesome dress I was coveting at White House Black Market and later, in front of his parents, he was all “Why don’t you show my mom that dress you liked?” I showed her the dress, she insisted I try it on and then bought it for me. His parents spoil me like nobody’s business. I think it’ll be the dress I wear for our civil ceremony/local reception.

Mamma Mia was a fun show although as feared, it’s caused a regular rotation of Abba songs to get stuck in my head.

It was nice to get away for the weekend but as soon as we got back, our unrelenting schedule resumed. It’s just been crazy. Between school/work, appointments, errands, ballroom lessons, going to the gym, and going out with friends, there just isn’t time to think, much less write, work on wedding stuff, send out my resume, or just be. In theory I should have all this spare time because I’m no longer working on a dissertation but that’s not the case. I think if I were still working on school stuff, I would have totally snapped by now.

I've been a slave to my schedule, knowing exactly what is going to occupy each time slot, and the whole time wondering when the hell I'll have time to clean the litter box and do laundry and oh yeah, time for naked activities would be great too. We're too young and unmarried to need to schedule sex, dammit! And as I was slogging my way through the rain and to the apartment building today, weighed down with groceries and exhausted from running errands and already thinking ahead to having to go to the gym, come home, eat dinner, and then go right back out for dance lessons, like a broken record, all I could think was "This is madness. We don't even have kids yet!"

We tell ourselves that things will just have to be less crazy when we're not trying to find jobs and plan a move and a wedding on top of all the responsibilities of everyday life. I can't remember the last time I had no deeds to do, no promises to keep. Sometimes it's a privilege to be idle.

Labels:

0 Old Comments: