the water got high and she never got dry

Monday, September 18, 2006

it had to be you

A few of the countless reasons I know why I want to marry this man:

He caters to my late night chocolate cravings, whether it’s going down the street for a malt or downtown for gelato.

When I was going crazy because of some bug bites I had an allergic reaction to, he ran to the store to get me calamine lotion and then later, Benadryl, fed me grapes, and put aloe on me in the middle of the night.

There is no one else in the world I’d rather have next to me when driving on a summer night with the windows down and “California Stars” playing.

The cat unabashedly adores him.

He uncomplainingly lets me take him shopping. I rarely do it, but there was a massive sale at Kohl’s and he made out like a sexy bandit with two dress shirts, two polos, and three ties for 90 bucks.

It sometimes takes me forever to make shopping decisions. He never, ever gets impatient even if it takes me half an hour to decide on what color towels to get, because I’m simultaneously shopping for the bathroom we have now and the bathroom we might have in the future. Likewise, he never complains about how long it takes me to get dolled up for the evening. He is endlessly patient.

When other women complain about how their men leave their dirty clothes on the floor or don’t help out around the house, I can’t chime in.

He participates in every aspect of wedding planning, even when I know he can’t possibly care about what color envelopes we get for save-the-dates.

I’ll be sitting around the house in my pjs with my hair in a sloppy ponytail and he tells me I’m hot.

He's always up for an adventure, whether it's the idea of moving to Korea or jumping in the car and getting the hell outta Dodge for a day.

All of this makes it easy to overlook the following music-related sins:

He’s the only person I’ve ever met who actually likes the song “Roxanne” and speaking of the Police, he thinks “Wrapped Around Your Finger” is a better song than “King of Pain”. I know, I know, “how can it be wrong if it’s a preference?”, but it can.

He tells me Tom Jones does a cover of “Never Tear Us Apart” and it’s not bad.

He raves about William Shatner’s latest album.

On one of our first dates he referred to Rod Stewart as a musical legend. Not that he likes Rod Stewart, but that Rod’s popularity qualifies him as a musical legend. This from the man who has referred to no fewer than a dozen movies as “Best Movie Ever.”

I’m not saying Husband To Be has bad taste in music. Not at all and we like a lot of the same stuff. He just has lower standards. But I love him still.

0 Old Comments: